Thursday, February 15, 2007

Grace kelly - Mika



Grace Kelly - Mika

I guess Im a little bit shy
Why dont you like me?
Why dont you like me without making me try?

I try to be like Grace Kelly
But all her looks were too sad
So I try a little Freddie
Ive gone identity mad!

I could be brown
I could be blue
I could be violet sky
I could be hurtful
I could be purple
I could be anything you like
Gotta be green
Gotta be mean
Gotta be everything more
Why dont you like me?
Why dont you like me?
Why dont you walk out the door!

How can I help it
How can I help it
How can I help what you think?
Hello my baby
Hello my baby
Putting my life on the brink
Why dont yo like me

Why dont you like me
Why dont you like yourself?
Should I bend over?
Should I look older just to be put on the shelf?

I try to be like Grace Kelly
But all her looks were too sad
So I try a little Freddie
Ive gone identity mad!

I could be brown
I could be blue
I could be violet sky
I could be hurtful
I could be purple
I could be anything you like
Gotta be green
Gotta be mean
Gotta be everything more
Why dont you like me?
Why dont you like me?
Why dont you walk out the door!

Say what you want to satisfy yourself
But you only want what everybody else says you should want

I could be brown
I could be blue
I could be violet sky
I could be hurtful
I could be purple
I could be anything you like
Gotta be green
Gotta be mean
Gotta be everything more
Why dont you like me?
Why dont you like me?
Why dont you walk out the door!


Do I attract you?
Do I repulse you with my queasy smile?
Am I too dirty?
Am I too flirty?
Do I like what you like?

I could be wholesome
I could be loathsome

---------------------------------

Esta canción es genial. No solamente porque recuerda un poco el estilo de Freddie Mercury sino porque en la propia canción admite haber intentado imitarlo. El vídeo es muy freak y no sabía que el cantante fuera tan feo...pero ya lo dice él mismo, ¿te atraigo o te repugno con mi sonrisa? El se hará del color que sea e imitará al que sea para gustar pero...la verdad es que lo de agradar a la gente se le da muy bien. Incluso con lo poco agraciado que es y con el video ese y los falsetes endiablados, tiene más de 9000 veces elegido como entrada favorita. Tres hurras por Mika.


Edición: He estado leyendo la biografía de Mika. Nació en Beirut pero por motivos políticos su familia cambió de país. Estuvo en París y Londres y se encontró a sí mismo a través de la música a los 12 años. Es compositor, letrista, músico y cantante. Se lo hace todo él solito. Esta canción de "Grace Kelly" surgió a partir de la frustración que le generaban los productores. Ellos solo querían lanzar lo que estuviera de moda, y en ese momento lo que se pinchaba más era Craig David, música que le alejaba de lo que él quería hacer. Entonces se rebeló e hizo esta canción dirigiéndose a ellos.



Aquí parte de su BIOGRAPHY contada por él mismo, en inglés. Para leerla toda, este enlace: Biografía de Mika.

"I grew up listening to every thing from Joan Baez and Dylan, to Serge Gainsbourg and Flamenco. My musical tastes have become more eclectic as I've got older, but I'm always going back to great artist songwriters, people who make great records to their own vision. Prince, Harry Nillson, Elton John, even Michael Jackson. These people make amazing pop records that couldn't be performed by anybody else and that's what I always wanted to do."



However, this musical vision might never have been realised. At 19 he left home to study for an academic degree at The London School of Economics. He quit on the afternoon on the first day and enrolled at The Royal College of Music two weeks later. An obsessive songwriter as a student, he would gate-crash parties and take to pianos to deliver 5 song sets, unannounced. One such occasion led to an early development deal, which he now sees as essential to his progress as an artist, but at the time saw as little short of spirit-crushing:



"The bosses would try and twist me into a direction that went totally against my nature. Basically, they wanted me to follow whatever was popular at the time. And at the time what was popular was Craig David, so my depression was pretty deep."



In the midsts of desperation, he wrote what will soon become his signature song, "Grace Kelly", a spoof 4/4 opera set to a technicolour pop backdrop. "It was a fuck-off song to people that I was working with at the time," he explains now. "It is where the line 'shall I bend over, shall I look older, just to be put on your shelf' comes from. I was so angry. That company had every resource except a soul." The infectious pomp and deliriously catchy chorus of Grace Kelly became a benchmark for where he wanted to go. "You can't be afraid to stand out. If no one was going to take a punt on it, then so be it. I would do it myself."



Mika's is a voice that needs to be heard. Straddling belting refrains with his four-octave range, the boy found himself in Miami, demoing with anyone he could hook up with, in any studio time he could get, for free. He ended up befriending the Bee Gees engineer who was promptly sacked for moonlighting on company time.



This is the Mika magic touch. Unafraid to stand alone - because this is what he is used to - his intimate first person and third person storytelling will connect with outsiders while subverting the mainstream from within. Whether eulogising the delights of the larger framed woman on the funk-rock strop of Big Girl (You Are Beautiful), condensing modern sexual peccadilloes on the burlesque Billy Brown, or celebrating the joys of being alive on Love Today, his is a place that pop music is not used to traveling to. "I wrote Love Today when i was happy, really happy. When you're on a buzz, you get cocky and you assume that everyone in the world at that time feels the way you do. I often feel like that. So I put it in a song. "

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home